In this type of organization structure, the project manager may or may not have power to take decisions. If he got the power to take decisions, he will have some authority and he usually reports to a manager then we all him as a Project Coordinator otherwise a Project Expediter.
Both roles acts as an assistant and communications coordinator.
Below are the three major types of organization structures and its sub divisions.
- Weak Matri
- Balanced Matrix
- Strong Matrix
Depends on the organization structure the responsibilities of stack holders differ.
One more type is there called Compote Organization which is a mixed form of all the organization types. Most of the companies will have this composite organization type. Projectized type is one one which gives more freedom and responsibilities for Project Managers.
Project Governance explains how the project should be executed. It is basically a framework which defines decisions such as number of phases, resources, methodology etc.
-There can be one or more phases in projects. Even if you do not follow standard project management, unconsciously one or a combination of below three relationships will exist.
- Sequential Relationship – One phase will start only after finishing the previous phase
- Overlapping Relationship – Simultaneously two or more phases will run.
- Iterative Relationship – Phases are not pre-planned. Next phase will be decided and planned based on the outcome of previous phase
For most projects we can see one or more of these relationships are getting applied.
Well, I hear about this term for the first time but the meaning is more than a decade old.
There can be a number of phases inside a project depends on the size and complexity of the project. Each phase can be sequential or might be overlapped depends on output nature. The end of phase can be named as:
- phase exit
- milestone (I bet, you know this)
- phase gate
- decision gate or
- killer point
Mostly when coming to change requests, you might face these kinds of questions. Customer might have requested a change request which might take only less than 1 hour for the implementation. This depends on when did client ask for the change. For a running project it is easy to accommodate a change without much impacts but when it comes to a closed project there are certain factors we might need to consider. Such as:
- Even though the change is very small, you still need to consider some system study, testing & QA, PM & communication impacts etc. The change is a label/text change, but you need to make sure no any other module is breaking because of this change.
- You might have allocated your resource already to some other project and they might not be available. So a new developer need to spend time for system study.